Simpana Software Tops the Honor Roll at Metro State College for Modern Protection of Academic Data
Major Urban College in Colorado Boosts Backup and Recovery Efficiencies, Improves Retention SLAs and Optimizes Storage Utilization by Unifying Data Management with Simpana Software
CommVault (NASDAQ: CVLT) OCEANPORT, NJ November 2, 2011
- Metropolitan State College of Denver, a fully accredited college with 55 major fields and 90 minors offered in a diverse urban setting, has implemented CommVault® Simpana® 9 software to streamline and improve the management and protection of academic data while ensuring increased service levels for students and faculty.
- As part of the college's use of technology in support of educational excellence, Metro State digitized academic files and data for "green" and reliable retention of up to 90 days. Over time, however, it became difficult to determine what and where data was stored. The college also struggled to keep pace with rapid data growth, which wreaked havoc on backup and recovery windows.
- After giving its legacy EMC Networker data protection software a failing grade for unreliable and complex backup and recovery, Metro State evaluated solutions that could reduce redundant data, give IT more control over data sprawl, minimize risk and optimize storage utilization.
- Metro State chose CommVault's modern data protection approach to consolidate backup and recovery, deduplication and file archive functions by taking advantage of Simpana software's unified platform and single pane-of-glass management in an effort to cut redundant data in half, meet backup and recovery windows and achieve an approximately 75 percent increase in backup operation efficiencies.
- Thanks to Simpana software's file archiving capabilities, the college can better control growing file shares that contain aged and inactive data. Thus, Metro State has retired or repurposed older hardware and moved less-critical data off expensive primary storage onto secondary tiers for longer-retention of more than 90 days, which exceed its current retention SLA and help deliver significant storage cost savings. Additionally, the college can now offer its more than 24,000 students and faculty additional services, such as data repositories for temporary project files.
Graduating to Modern Data Management
- According to Metro State, CommVault's singular platform approach and embedded deduplication delivered more functionality when compared to disk-based hardware appliances, such as EMC's Avamar Data Store, which had a reported 40-percent higher TCO over a five-year period.
- CommVault's Professional Services ensured a rapid deployment; backups encompassing 20 TBs of data ran successfully within two weeks of implementation and all backup windows are now met reliably and efficiently.
- By eliminating tape altogether, Metro State projects an annual cost savings of $17,000 in tape pickup services and has reallocated that budget and additional administration to expanding its disaster recovery plan at little to no incremental cost.
- Metro State College is now evaluating CommVault's edge data protection solution to safeguard data residing on laptops and desktops used by the office of the president and other top college officials.
Kenneth Garcia, director of IT infrastructure services at Metro State College:
- "With Simpana software, we can really use one product to unify data management across Metro State's server, laptop and desktop data. By consolidating our data protection on CommVault's single platform, we've recaptured hardware costs, improved SLAs, extended data retention and improved backup and recovery."
- "Simpana software was the only product that gave us everything we wanted in one platform. We also solicited a lot of feedback and heard over and over how Simpana software was 'bulletproof,' and that feedback meant a lot."
- "Augmenting Metro State's capabilities with CommVault's Professional Services was a smart decision as I didn't lose a wink of sleep during the deployment. We had great knowledge transfer and CommVault's input on how to maintain our environment was icing on the cake."
A singular vision – a belief in a better way to address current and future data management needs – guides CommVault in the development of Singular Information Management® solutions for high-performance data protection, universal availability and simplified management of data on complex storage networks. CommVault's exclusive single-platform architecture gives companies unprecedented control over data growth, costs and risk. CommVault's Simpana® software suite of products was designed to work together seamlessly from the ground up, sharing a single code and common function set, to deliver superlative Data Protection, Archive, Replication, Search and Resource Management capabilities. More companies every day join those who have discovered the unparalleled efficiency, performance, reliability, and control only CommVault can offer. Information about CommVault is available at www.commvault.com. CommVault's corporate headquarters is located in Oceanport, New Jersey in the United States.
Safe Harbor Statement
Customers' results may differ materially from those stated herein; certain information in this release has been provided by the customer and has not been independently verified by CommVault. CommVault does not guarantee that all customers can achieve benefits similar to those stated above. This press release may contain forward-looking statements, including statements regarding financial projections, which are subject to risks and uncertainties, such as competitive factors, difficulties and delays inherent in the development, manufacturing, marketing and sale of software products and related services, general economic conditions and others. Statements regarding CommVault's beliefs, plans, expectations or intentions regarding the future are forward-looking statements, within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. All such forward-looking statements are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results may differ materially from anticipated results. CommVault does not undertake to update its forward-looking statements.
©1999-2011 CommVault Systems, Inc. All rights reserved. CommVault, CommVault and logo, the "CV" logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, Quick Snap, QSnap, SnapProtect, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, ROMS, and CommValue are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.