State Attorney's Office for Flordia's 15th Judicial Circuit Selects CommVault & Iron Mountain for Secure, Reliable Cloud-Based Storage
— State Attorney's Office Accommodates Data Growth & Reduces Storage Costs Using Simpana Software's Cloud Connector to Move Backup Data to Iron Mountain's Cloud Archiving Platform —
CommVault (NASDAQ: CVLT) and Iron Mountain (NYSE: IRM) — OCEANPORT, NJ & BOSTON — October October 12, 2010
- The Office of the State Attorney for Florida's15th Judicial Circuit in and for Palm Beach County, is taking advantage of integration between solutions from CommVault and Iron Mountain, enabling them to keep pace with exponential data growth, drive down storage costs and increase operational efficiencies.
- The lynchpin to the office's success in serving its community's criminal justice needs is strong collaboration among prosecutors, investigators and law enforcement. Increased use of digital evidence and electronic arrest filings caused data storage to double, taxing the existing storage infrastructure while increasing the costs and administration of offsite tape rotation.
- Using CommVault® Simpana® software and its integrated cloud storage connector, the State Attorney's Office moves backup and archive data securely, reliably and transparently into Iron Mountain's cloud archiving platform. From a single console, the IT team can manage and retrieve archives stored on the scalable platform at a projected cost savings of 44 percent over traditional offsite tape rotation.
- Organizations have traditionally shied away from storing their information in the cloud; now CommVault customers can take advantage of Iron Mountain's unparalleled security and the integration with Simpana 9 to reduce the costs and risks of managing their information in the cloud.
- According to the State Attorney's Office, the addition of Simpana software's embedded deduplication also enables the organization to reduce redundant data by up to 90 percent; this decrease in storage footprint allows the team to use CommVault software to drive efficiencies and better leverage existing infrastructure, thereby avoiding a $60,000 capital expenditure for SAN upgrades.
Unanimous Verdict on Cloud Storage Gains
- CommVault's cloud connector takes full advantage of native REST over HTTP connectivity to simplify deployment with Iron Mountain's cloud archiving platform; no complex scripting or gateway appliances were required, which according to the State Attorney's Office enabled them to realize a five-to-one savings over other cloud storage solutions.
- The State Attorney's Office claims that moving backup data to the cloud has lowered administration costs by 20 percent. Additionally, data can be recovered quickly and easily, removing the time delay and additional management required previously. Offsite backups are stored in multiple places within the cloud-based archive system for elevated disaster recovery.
- Heightened security, including CommVault's embedded encryption and Iron Mountain's AES encryption and VPN tunneling, ensures the safety and integrity of sensitive data moving into, and out of, the cloud archive.
- A dedicated, four-person IT department at the State Attorney's Office supports more than 3,000 users, including more than 100 prosecutors, nearly 200 office staff and 27 different law enforcement agencies.
From Michael McAuliffe, State Attorney for Florida's 15th Judicial Circuit:
- "Our relationship with investigative law enforcement is the lynchpin of our success. This latest move to embrace cloud storage using CommVault and Iron Mountain technology is a great example of how technology can raise the bar in information sharing and process efficiency while lowering operational costs."
- "I have a great interest in vetting new technologies that can save money because we are funded with taxpayers' dollars. We performed a careful cost/benefit analysis, which helped us project cost savings of 44 percent by moving backup data to the cloud."
- "The integration between these CommVault and Iron Mountain platforms appears seamless, which I anticipate will lead to straightforward and cost-effective storage that ensures the delivery of accurate and timely information from my office to officers on the street."
From Dan Zinn, CIO for the Office of the State Attorney's 15th Judicial Circuit:
- "We take every precaution to safeguard crucial information. CommVault and Iron Mountain play major roles in this area as we will not compromise when it comes to providing a secure, reliable and scalable environment for managing, retaining and accessing all case-related data."
- "As soon as we heard that CommVault and Iron Mountain were working together to deliver a cloud-optimized offering, we wanted it right away. Together, CommVault and Iron Mountain had a compelling solution for reducing the complexity of moving and managing data into the cloud."
- "We're achieving up to 90 percent reductions in redundant data with CommVault's deduplication, which decreases the footprint before it's backed up, sent over the network and stored in the cloud. Deduplication helped us save $60,000 in capital expenditures by avoiding a SAN upgrade."
About Iron Mountain
Iron Mountain Incorporated (NYSE: IRM) provides information management services that help organizations lower the costs, risks and inefficiencies of managing their physical and digital data. The company's solutions enable customers to protect and better use their information–regardless of its format, location or lifecycle stage–so they can optimize their business and ensure proper recovery, compliance and discovery. Founded in 1951, Iron Mountain manages billions of information assets, including business records, electronic files, medical data, emails and more for organizations around the world. Visit www.ironmountain.com or follow the company on Twitter @IronMountainInc for more information.
A singular vision – a belief in a better way to address current and future data and information management needs – guides CommVault in the development of Singular Information Management® solutions for high-performance data protection, universal availability and simplified management of data on complex storage networks. CommVault's exclusive single-platform architecture gives companies unprecedented control over data growth, costs and risk. CommVault's Simpana® software modules were designed to work together seamlessly from the ground up, sharing a single code and common function set, to deliver superlative Data Backup, Archive, Replication, Search and Resource Management capabilities. More companies every day join those who have discovered the unparalleled efficiency, performance, reliability, and control only CommVault can offer. Information about CommVault is available at www.commvault.com. CommVault's corporate headquarters is located in Oceanport, New Jersey in the United States.
Safe Harbor Statement
Customers' results may differ materially from those stated herein; CommVault does not guarantee that all customers can achieve benefits similar to those stated above. This press release may contain forward-looking statements, including statements regarding financial projections, which are subject to risks and uncertainties, such as competitive factors, difficulties and delays inherent in the development, manufacturing, marketing and sale of software products and related services, general economic conditions and others. Statements regarding CommVault's beliefs, plans, expectations or intentions regarding the future are forward-looking statements, within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. All such forward-looking statements are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results may differ materially from anticipated results. CommVault does not undertake to update its forward-looking statements.
©1999-2010 CommVault Systems, Inc. All rights reserved. CommVault, CommVault and logo, the "CV" logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, Quick Snap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.